Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Kundan Bapat
Single barebones Java file using slf4j package - 2 imports; Default package.
barebones logbackxml - directly under classpath - which is 'current directory'.

The log statements in file seen on console, but no FileAppender (file) created.
Messing with logback.xml syntax makes no difference - means it is simply not read by the program.

I can use help.  This is my first trial with logback; only used log4j a while back.  no groovy or maven nothing.  plain command line javac and java.

Java:
import org.slf4j.Logger;
import org.slf4j.LoggerFactory;

public class NMSLogger {
    private final Logger nmsLogger = LoggerFactory.getLogger(NMSLogger.class);

    public void sayHello(String name) {

        nmsLogger.info("INFO: Hi, {}", name);
        nmsLogger.info("INFO:Welcome to the NBN NMS LogBack World.  Hello World!\n");
        nmsLogger.error("EROR:Welcome to the NBN NMS LogBack World.  Hello World!\n");
    }
        NMSLogger theLogger = new NMSLogger();
        theLogger.sayHello("srccodes.com");
    }
}
------------- logback.xml:
<configuration>
  <appender name="FILE" class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender">
    <File>logFile.log</File>
    <rollingPolicy
      class="ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.TimeBasedRollingPolicy">
      <FileNamePattern>
             logFile.%d{yyyy-MM-dd}.log.zip
      </FileNamePatter>
    </rollingPolicy>

    <layout class="ch.qos.logback.classic.PatternLayout">
      <Pattern>
        %d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} [%thread] %-5level %logger{22} - %msg%n
      </Pattern>
    </layout>
    <root level="${root-level:-debug}">
      <appender-ref ref="FILE"/>
    </root>
  </appender>
</configuration>
----------- dir:
logback.xml  NMSLogger.class  NMSLogger.java  slf4j-api-1.7.5.jar*  slf4j-jdk14-1.7.5.jar
==========

Any help, pointers please?

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Kundan Bapat
Just  noticed some syntax errors in logback.xml, as I was meddling with it, trying different things.

But as mentioned in previous post, it doesn't matter because the logback.xml file is simply 'not read in' when the Java class is executed.
Thanks
Kundan

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Ajaykumar Ashokkumar Lavhade
Hi Kundan,

As per your logback.xml settings logFile.log will get created in your project directory. If you are using eclipse and you are not able to view your logFile.log in your project directory then please do refresh it.
If this doesn't work then post the entire message you gets on console.

Thanks,
Ajay

Just  noticed some syntax errors in logback.xml, as I was meddling with it, trying different things.

But as mentioned in previous post, it doesn't matter because the logback.xml file is simply 'not read in' when the Java class is executed.
Thanks
Kundan

Infosys e-mail system.

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Kundan Bapat
Ajay,

Rhanks dir a quick response.

I started on eclipse; but as I started to strip down the complexity, I moved to command line, removed ANT, other files etc.  the result - running the program  on the cmd window, and console output of the messages which I have included in the single java file (attached-3messages).
Nothing else, no errors, and no message regarding 'file log back.xml not found', or invalid syntax, or exception trace ...  nothing.  Plain successful execution of program with console logging as if logback.xml doesn't exist!

Thanks
Kundan

http://logback.10977.n7.nabble.com/Simplest-Java-sample-Simplest-logback-xml-what-no-logfile-tp12583p12586.html
To unsubscribe from Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile, click here.
NAML

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Kundan Bapat
hmm... I though the slf4j code is a wrapper around logback?
And if I do not have the logback jar files how did the program still run?
does it mean that some of the slf4j code look for logback classes, and if not found, degrades gracefully by 'not bothering to look for logback.xml, and just do the console logging?

Thank you
Kundan.

--
Sincerely,
Kundan

There never was a truly great man who was not at the same time truly virtuous.
Humility | Sincerity | Temperance | Resolution | Industry | Justice
- Ben Franklin

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Ajaykumar Ashokkumar Lavhade

Make sure the logback.xml configuration file is in the classpath src/main/resources.

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Abraham Lin
The SLF4J library is just an API that expects an implementation (not necessarily logback) to be bound at runtime. See the documentation: http://www.slf4j.org/manual.html. It also looks like you've provided the JDK logging binding, so your code is using that instead of the fallback NOP logger.

Your program has no dependencies on logback APIs, so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Kundan Bapat <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Abraham!

No shorts cuts:)  I was hoping to do a quick working sample.. since logback is claimed to be a simple (yet powerful) extension of log4j.
Thanks, I guess no alternative to reading the man pages.

You mentioned one thing below: "you've provided the JDK logging binding / so code uses that instead of the fallback NOP logger":
- Am assuming NOP is No Operation logger?
- Where did I provide the JDK logging bindings - haven't imported any Java Logging packages.
- While I will read the doc (saw it before, but resisted:) ) - with the given code + logback.xml + jars, if I include logback.jar(s) things should just 'work'... or I will need to update code in some ways to 'make it use the logback'

Thanks,
Kundan

- Ben Franklin

Re: Simplest Java sample; Simplest logback.xml; what no logfile

Abraham Lin
- Am assuming NOP is No Operation logger?

Yes.

- Where did I provide the JDK logging bindings - haven't imported any Java Logging packages.

You have slf4j-jdk14-1.7.5.jar on your classpath.

- While I will read the doc (saw it before, but resisted:) ) - with the given code + logback.xml + jars, if I include logback.jar(s) things should just 'work'... or I will need to update code in some ways to 'make it use the logback'

Yes, add the logback JARs and remove the JDK logging binding; no code changes should be necessary.